Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Poppin' The Cherry? I Don't Think So!

There are only 2 people in hockey I dislike more than Don Cherry.  Most of my readers could probably guess that Sidney Crosby is  one of them and anyone personally close to me, would know Daniel Alfredsson is the other.

On October 6th, 2011, Don Cherry made some remarks towards a few retired players, regarding their stance on fighting in the NHL.



"The ones that I am really disgusted with ... are the bunch of pukes that fought before: Stu Grimson, Chris Nilan and Jim Thomson. (They say) 'Oh, the reason that they're drinking, (taking) drugs and alcoholics is because they're fighting.' You turncoats. You hypocrites. If there's one thing I'm not it's a hypocrite. You guys were fighters, and now you don't want guys to make the same living you did."

So Lets get this straight Stu... You, a former NHL tough guy, are upset at the fact that Cherry called you a "puke"?  Or is it that he called you out on your belief that fighting in the NHL causes drug addictions and Alcoholism?  So, tell me why you are filing a lawsuit? How are his comments "damaging and inflammatory"?  How serious do you think people actually take Don Cherry? 
I like the part where Chris Nilan says on Off The Record, that he never said that the NHL should ban fighting.  He claimed that his stance is:


"I'll clarify my statements I made about fighting once again: That I believe that the National Hockey League is in a temperance movement. They really don't like fighting, and I believe they don't want it in the game. And I've said, that if they don't want it in the game, why don't they just take it out. I've never said I wanted it out. I never said I'm against fighting. I said if they're that much against it, they put the instigator rule in, they get linesmen who get in and try and break up fights before they start, the linesmen do that because they feel like getting punched in the head today or do they do it because the league asked them to do it because they don't wanna see the fighting on TV."
 Also, Nilan said this right after:

"I don't think they should take fighting out, and I never said it. So what he says to me, and about me last night, totally caught me off guard and again, I feel he's uninformed, and honestly, I feel he owes me an apology on Hockey Night in Canada next week and Coach's Corner."

So, Chris Nilan, this quote you gave the QMI Agency early September, was misprinted? or misquoted? 

"The NHL should ban fighting because it's no longer a factor in the games," Nilan told QMI Agency."
 I got an idea.  Nilan, Grimson, and Thompson, why don't you take your baby bottles and blankies, and go bully someone else, because really, that's all you are, are a bunch of bullies who lost the spotlight and need that fast cash because you were nothing in the NHL and you're puny paychecks have run out.

Oh, Don Cherry, don't think I'm letting you off without anything.  You need to learn that you need to play nicely with people.  The ONLY reason I watch your show is because its in between periods during Maple Leafs game every week. This show should not be used for your personal agenda, to pick fights with anyone, or to call anyone out.  A great friend said:
"The show has great potential to be informing to all hockey fans; as well as, teaching kids the beauty and spirit of hockey."
 That's exactly what it should be.  Not "a show of tired rants by a old former mediocre coach"

















No comments: